Monday, April 27, 2009

Nobody's Princess



Ok, first let me say I adore Helen of Troy. She is my idol, even though she's fictional. She's everything I aspire to be: brave, cunning, sneaky...

[Taken from book summary]

Not one to count on the gods -or her looks- to take care of her, Helen sets out to get what she wants steely determination and a sassy attitude. And while it's that attitude that gets Helen a few enemies -Such as the self proclaimed 'Son of Posiedon', Theseus- its also what intrigues, charms and amuses those who are her friends from the famed huntress Atalanta to the young priestess who is the Oracle of Delphi.

This is basically a fictional story of what happened in Helen's childhood -when she was young Helen of Sparta, desitined to be Sparta's future queen.

I loved this book because she defies everything about Sparta. Her sister, Clytemnestra is like the golden girl. She sits at the loom all day, weaving and embroidering.

This book kind of hit home for me, because Clytemnestra and Helen are a lot like me and my sister. My sister Ruby is the good girl who does everything my parents say and is a total priss.

While I don't always listen to my parents, and let's face it, I'd rather party then do whatever it is my sister does.

Clytemnestra often accuses Helen of always getting her way because she's the prettier sister. That seems true, which is pretty harsh.

Anyway, I give this book 10 stars, and if you like Greek mythology I insist you read it. I'm tracking down the sequel, Nobody's Prize, so when I find it I will review.

:)
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment